Monday, March 22, 2010

Fatties rule!

So I'm surfing around looking for ideas, inspiration and I came across this website called the BBQ Brethren. Signed up, grabbed a handle and started reading. Like every sub-culture, these guys have their own language. I saw references to something called a fatty, and wondered what the hell they were talking about. So using the Google, I come to find out that a fatty is a sausage log, like Jimmy Dean's or Bob Evans, where you take the wrapper off and throw it on the smoker for a couple of hours. Are you kidding me?

So I dig a little further and I find all these cool riffs on a fatty. Like, guys are taking the sausage log and stuffing them with all kinds of shit. Cheese, veggies, bacon, whatever. The kicker is the bacon lattice that some of them put around the log before they put it on the smoker. I finally come across the coolest one yet, the "Philly Phattie." It consists of Italian sausage wrapped around sauteed onions and peppers, Parmesan and provolone cheese. Since I am a huge fan of sausage and peppers, I HAD to give that a try.

So, I sauteed my onions and peppers for about 20 minutes in a little olive oil and butter.




I cut open the sausage log and flattened it out with my hands. It wasn't as easy as I thought! I put it on some aluminum foil covered with PAM so I could fold it over the filling. Put a little too much in...






The other fatty that I cooked was just a Bob Evans maple sausage log. I smoked for about 3 hours using lump and a hickory log up to a temp of around 170.. Holy crap was it some good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment